Torrance Medi-Cal Attorney
Our Estate Planning Lawyers Will Get Results
People in need of medical assistance or health insurance should know that the state of California offers Medi-Cal, the shortened name for the California Medical Assistance Program. It is California's health care program to help pay for services for qualifying children and adults. Not everyone is accepted into the program, and that is where the Law Offices of James C. Shields can be of assistance.
For those seeking to apply to Medi-Cal but unsure whether their income and assets will disqualify them, a thorough estate plan with proper asset management will allow them to receive the maximum amount of benefits while maintaining their current standard of living and providing for long term care.
Who Qualifies for Medi-Cal Benefits?
Those who qualify for Medi-Cal include people who are enrolled the following programs:
- CalWORKs (AFDC)
- Refugee Assistance
- Foster Care or Adoption Assistance Program
- In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS)
Additionally, individuals may qualify Medi-Cal if they are:
- 65 or older or in a nursing home
- Under 21
- A caretaker to a minor child in certain circumstances
- Diagnosed with breast and/or cervical cancer
- Pregnant women, whom the program accepts on a temporary basis even if their income would otherwise disqualify them
How Do I File for Medi-Cal Benefits in California?
For acceptance into the Medi-Cal program, applicants must fill out lengthy and detailed forms, with paperwork to back up their finances. Those whose income and assets are too high but are still in need of benefits should know that there are legal ways to minimize their countable assets and income, which may include special needs planning and setting up a trust.
The Medi-Cal application is filed under penalty of perjury, meaning innocent mistakes may result in disqualification from the program. A qualified Torrance estate planning lawyer will:
- Guide applicants through the Medi-Cal process
- Give proper legal advice on how to qualify
- Draft a financial estate plan to maintain the person's standard of living while receiving benefits
- File the application timely and completely
- Appear at a State hearing should one be required
If you or a member of your family is in need of Medi-Cal benefits but are unsure how to proceed, contact our experienced South Bay Medi-Cal attorneys. Do not try to apply by yourself without the help of experts. The application process is quickest and easiest when done correctly from the beginning, and you and your loved ones can rest assured you will receive the best results possible.
We Can Help You Find Financial Freedom
We Diligently Represent Your Interests
Over 50 Years of Collective Experience