We are currently offering consultations via in-office appointment, phone, and video. Please contact us if you have any questions. Thank you!

Law Offices of James C. Shields

Child Support and Garnishment of Wages

If you're a custodial parent seeking child support or if you're the non-custodial parent who has been ordered to pay child support, it's important to know about wage garnishment. For you to set up a child support order, you'll need to visit your local child support enforcement office. You must bring your state ID, proof of current address, your child's birth certificate, and any additional documents the office may need. Also, you'll need to present as much information as possible about the other parent. Also, bring proof of income and your expenses. Once the non-custodial parent is reached, he'll need to present his income information and other expenses. Once this happens, a child support hearing occurs, and then the wage garnishment of a part of the non-custodial parent's income begins shortly afterward.

What if I Fail to Pay Child Support?

If you've been ordered to pay child support and refuse to do so, certain penalties can occur. These penalties include incurring fines, being dismissed from military service, losing your driver's license, losing your passport, and imprisonment in some cases. This is why you should do everything you can to maintain regular payments. If you lose your job or experience financial hardships, contact the local child support enforcement to reexamine your finances so that you might develop a different agreement.

Research Your State's Child Support Laws

Both the custodial and non-custodial parents need to research their states' child support laws so that you'll know your rights and responsibilities. This helps you win your case effectively and you'll have more confidence during the process.

Seek to Cooperate With The Other Parent

If you and the other parent are on good terms, cooperate for the sake of the child. Communicate your child's needs to him regularly and avoid belittling him or starting unnecessary arguments. There have even been situations when some co-parents didn't have to go to court because one parent was willing to support his child without coercion from the state. Ideally, this is the best situation to be in for the child's well-being.

In conclusion, these tips can assist both custodial and non-custodial parents in having a smooth process while establishing a child support order.

If you need assistance with family law, contact us. We're here to help you navigate legal issues that your family is experiencing, and we give guidance on how to solve those problems.